Friday, September 12, 2014

Most Disappointing Book

I often wonder if things are the most disappointing when your expectations are set really high (I suspect this makes total sense!).  I had just finished reading Alyssa York's Fauna and was amazed at her talent as a writer.  I wanted to read more!  I picked up Effigy and expected to be dazzled.  Oddly, it was about Mormon taxidermists, but in the hands of a talented author, this could work.  Right?  Wrong!  This book plodded along with relentless details about the stuffing of animals, coupled with the dramas of multiple wives.  I finished it as I kept waiting for the point where it would turn and be fantastic.  Didn't happen and I now live in fear of future Alyssa York novels.   Perhaps I just need to pay closer attention to the topic next time.

As an aside, I wonder if this is why I'm reluctant to start my second Sarah Water's book Fingersmith (as mentioned yesterday).  Perhaps I have found a second hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment