Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Book I Thought I Might Not Like But Ended up Loving

Let's be clear,  I don't fancy myself a reader of westerns, but when the Sisters Brothers started getting rave reviews, I thought perhaps I should work on overcoming my prejudice towards this genre.  I have to say though, I went into this book with a fair bit of trepidation and didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did.  Canadian author Patrick Dewitt did a brilliant job of injecting humour into what otherwise could have been a fairly bleak novel.  The image of this "black hat" cowboy becoming slightly undone by a toothache was absolutely priceless!  And I kind of liked that there was a character named Kermit :).  Some credit should possibly go to the Coen Brothers, who may have warmed me slightly to westerns earlier with the brilliant movie True Grit (but the Sisters Brothers was my first book)!  Showing how open-minded I now am towards westerns, I plan to read Lonesome Dove before the year ends.  Thanks Patrick Dewitt for opening my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment