Thursday, September 18, 2014

Book I'd Most Like to Live In

This is a tough one for me as I tend to like reading books where the characters struggle with big problems.  It is the drama in these books that makes them interesting for me.  That said, not sure that I'd actually want to live with all this drama.  Would I really want to live in New York when Polio was flourishing as in Philip Roth's Nemesis.  Possibly not.  There is a spot in one Australian book though that I'd certainly love to visit.  I read Utopian Man a couple years ago now and it took place at the beginning of the 20th century in Melbourne.  The main character (Cole) creates a magical bookstore filled with all sorts of curiosities, including live music, a conservatory and a tea salon.  Visitors to the bookstore were encouraged to sit and browse the books at their leisure (ahead of his time I'd say).  His vision was inspired and I would love to have seen it in person.  The fact that it is based on a real place, makes this all the more intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. What about living in some of Jasper Fforde's books? They're already about a person from the real world living in the book world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...though still a fair bit of drama (not so relaxing as having a tea and browsing some books!).

    ReplyDelete