Sunday, September 7, 2014

Guilty Pleasure

I think my guiltiest pleasure when it comes to reading must be Bridget Jones Diary.  It set the tone for chick lit and I loved reading of Bridget's dating/work/friend/family foibles.  The scene where she attends a dinner full of couples is classic and still makes me smile.  This book even set me on the road to reading other chick lit with reckless abandon (though I've now ditched this "genre" altogether as I reached a saturation point).  I think that Helen Fielding did a marvelous job of catching the life of a single female and in so doing created a book that had the potential to be throw away fluff.  Although I don't think I'll try the new Bridget Jones' book (no Mark Darcy!), I can still appreciate the guilty pleasure of the first.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the movie, but I don't think I'll read the book. Does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete