Monday, September 15, 2014

Most Aspirational Character


I'm going to use this post to also review a recent book that I read.  So, I recently finished Beautiful Mystery, which is part of the Inspector Gamache series.  It followed Gamache and his second in command Beauvoir to a remote monastary where a murder had been committed.  Relationship-wise, there was also a great deal going on between the two police officers and this offered a complexity that isn't always evident in these books.  Despite that, this wasn't my favorite of this series as I really missed the characters from Three Pines who always add a certain jocularity to the proceedings.  This book did remind me however, of a character whom I would love to be more like.  Inspector Gamache is intelligent and successful, but what I think makes him truly special and aspirational is his kindness.  He looks out for the underdogs and brings them under his wing and he only sees the worst in people when its actually there.  Some would say his faith in people makes him naive, but I think the world could do worse than to have a few more people like him in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment