Monday, September 22, 2014

Best Book I've Read in the Past 12 Months

I'm going to (once again) cheat a little and choose two books here: one fiction and one non-fiction.


For fiction, it is The Golem and the Jinni.  This book was amazing in a number of ways.  It was a plot-driven page turner, it was completely unlike anything else I'd read, and the character development of both main and side characters was amazing.  I'll be recommending this book far and wide.



In the non-fiction category, I've chosen Spillover, which explores how viruses (mainly) can be transmitted from animals to humans.  Quammen explores this phenomenon in such a way that I could barely put this book away at night.  I loved learning about the science, as well as the scientists working to understand how this "spillover" from animals to humans had happened.  It's an amazing read - even for people who don't normally read non-fiction.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading spillover now, and investing in a lifetime supply of surgical masks.

    ReplyDelete