Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Time Machine


Title: The Time Machine
Author: H. G. Wells
Publisher: Yale University Press (October 26, 2010)

ISBN-10: 0812505042
ISBN-13: 978-0812505047


A while back, I read a supposed classic of science fiction: Fahrenheit451 which I didn't care for...at all. Recently however, I read another classic of science fiction: The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells.  What a great book!

I'm kind of a physics enthusiast, so whenever I happen upon a book/movie/story that incorporates time travel, I will generally have a bit of a problem with how it stacks up to the idea of time travel in physics. I'm not saying that this one doesn't have its issues, but one of the things that I thought made the story easier to imerse myself into was the fact that H.G. Wells didn't go into the details of how the protagonist built the time machine. Instead, he pretty much just said that he built a time machine; didn't explain how he did it, didn't explain the science behind it, nope! Basically said: Insert time machine here.

As mentioned, this made for a much richer story as you could simply enjoy the characters and not worry about the minutia of how things could have gone.

As you might have gathered, The Time Machine is about a time traveler and his adventures travelling through time.

I should point out that before reading the book, I watched the 2002 movie with Guy Pearce. While I enjoyed the movie, they took some serious artistic license with the book. What? Hollywood doesn't stick to the original story? I'm so surprised!  <--That was sarcasm!

As I mentioned, the book is really quite impressive, and while it doesn't leave a nit-picker like me without things to rail against, it does make a great page turner.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment