Monday, December 27, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

Title: Fahrenheit 451
Author: Ray Bradbury
Publisher: Del Rey
ISBN-10: 0345342968
ISBN-13: 978-0345342966

Review:
There comes a time when you feel that you should read some of the "classics" and be better off for doing so.  This isn't one of those times.

I am a big fan of science fiction, and I know that many people will disagree with this review, but I found that Ray Bradbury was writing two distinct kinds of books with Fahrenheit 451.  On one hand, he was trying to write a suspenseful, dramatic, yet bleak science fiction novel; almost the forbearer of cyberpunk.  On the other hand, he seemed to be trying to write a literary masterpiece.  This is where I was having the problem.  I found that his descriptions of scene and characters to be over the top poetic, while the story itself was quite simplistic.  I also found that he could have developed both plot and characters a lot better than he had.  For instance, Clarisse and Faber could have developed into wonderful characters that offered great insight into Montag, but instead, Clarisse was killed very early on, and Faber just kept whining about being a coward.

So in closing, let me be brief, unlike Bradbury.  "Hmmmmm....No sir, I didn't like it."

No comments:

Post a Comment