Saturday, December 18, 2010

Incident Report - Martha Baillie


Fresh from immersing myself in Lemon, I picked up the Incident Report.  Lemon was going to be a hard act to follow, so I was surprised when I just raced through this one.  The narrative device in this book is a unique one.  The story is told through a series of incident reports by a librarian (Miriam) at a branch of the Toronto Public Library.  Miriam's job and life are revealed in tiny snippets, but by the end I felt that I knew her quite well and sympathized with her plight.  This is a credit to the writing talents of Martha Baillie, who is able to convey a lot with a little.  As a librarian, I was also able to laugh and cringe at the situations in which she found herself.  Do pick up this book if you're willing to try out a slightly different narrative device--I think it really works.

4-Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment