Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach


After a bad run a couple months back, I seem to be on a winning streak again (at least with books; oh, and the Muppet Movie).  I guess it helps when you read a book that has been on so many end-of-year top 10 lists.  At any rate, I really enjoyed the world that Chad Harbach created in the Art of Fielding.  It reminded me of Skippy Dies in that you became a part of the characters' world and it's one that I would never otherwise experience.  For a few days I was immersed in and inhabiting the world of baseball players at a college in the US.

To put it in broad terms, this book tracks the life of several baseball players (and other members of the college community) throughout the course of a single season.  It touches on a range of interesting issues: the pressure that athletes are put under by themselves and others, the toll that athletics can take on a body, the perils of alternative lifestyles in a conservative environment, depression, and a myriad of others.  Because many of these issues are quite universal, it doesn't matter if you're a baseball fan, the book still resonates.  I don't think it would make my list of top-10 books of the year, but I did really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment