Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Secret History by Donna Tartt


In a nutshell

Tartt explores the events that lead up to a group of friends killing a fellow friend (she explores some of the aftermath as well).  Set at an elite Vermont college, the author tells it from the perspective of a new member of the group. 

Did I like it?

Not at all!  I found the characters unbearable (even the murder victim).  Everyone was so pretentious and self-involved that it was impossible to relate to any of the characters.  I expected to love this as I thought Gold Finch was great.  However, this really missed the mark for me.  I certainly resented that this was my holiday read - what a dud (a chore to finish).

Will you like it?

If you don't mind a slow burning mystery and don't find it necessary to relate to the characters in a meaningful way, you may enjoy this book.  I'm in the minority of people who disliked this book, so clearly it does have something to offer many. 

What else happened while I was reading this book?

Took a holiday in the Hawke's Bay where we found the best coffee of our lives at Box Expresso in Clive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment