Sunday, April 13, 2014

Strangle Hold by Richard Rotenberg


In a nutshell

This book is part of a series that follows investigations being carried out by members of the Toronto justice system.  In his fourth book, Rotenberg turns the tables on one of the cops. Head of the homicide unit, Ari Greene finds himself accused of murder when the woman with whom he was having an affair is brutally murdered.  The story follows Greene as he tries to clear his name.  One of the things that I enjoy about Rotenberg's books is that he tells the story from a range of perspectives.  It keeps things fresh and interesting.

Did I like it?

Strangle Hold finds itself in the enviable position of following the much condemened (by me) The Secret History.  This may have coloured my reacation, but I really loved it.  The characters are becoming familiar to me by this point (#4 in the series) and they are all very engaging.  Moreover, Toronto itself is a character in the books and I enjoy reading about the familiar scenery (brings me back to Canada for a wee while).  The book also managed to surprise me.  I didn't find the ending to be in any way predictable, which is pretty important in a murder mystery.  This was the second book that I read over my holiday and this one did the trick.  It was the perfect holiday read and I raced through it in a day.

Will you like it?

Those who enjoy murder mysteries with a legal twist will have fun with this book.  Rotenberg is a solid writer and his character development is improving with each novel in the series.

What else happened while I was reading this book?

Hung out in Waikanae at the beach with Leo and the dogs, while enjoying a delicious breakfast from the Old Beach Bakery.  Saw and enjoyed the Dallas Buyers Club that evening.  Oh, and had a delicious lunch on a cool old school bus at Te Horo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment