Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton


In a nutshell

Catton writes a tale of murder and intrigue that takes place on the South Island of New Zealand (primarily in Hokitika, but also in Dunedin).  The story is told through the eyes of 12+ individuals who have some knowledge that will inform the mystery.

Did I like it?

Catton is a very technically adept writer.  For me, however, I was not able to form an emotional connection with anyone in the book and therefore did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked.  Also, I did feel like 800+ pages was a bit long for the story she chose to tell.  

Will you like it?

Fans of literary fiction may like this one.  If you want a more traditional murder-mystery that is  a real page turner, this may not be the one for you.

What else happened while I was reading this book?

We enjoyed the best bits of summer with hikes on the weekend and walks home from work on weekdays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment