Saturday, March 12, 2011

Secrets of Eden - Chris Bohjalian


I usually really enjoy Chris Bohjlian.  Midwives, Law of Similars, etc. were all quite good.  The Secrets of Eden however, did not do it for me at all!  I did finish reading it, but only to confirm that I had correctly guessed the ending.  I had.  This is perhaps one of my larger problems with the book--it was very predictable.  Also, though, there was a new-agey character in it, who was really flaky and whom I could not bear reading about.  In a nutshell, the book was about  a murder-suicide and was told from the perspective of four people: the minister who had been involved with the family, the cop investigate the crime, the new-agey woman, and the daughter of the murder-suicide victims.  The author tries to get you to a different truth with each character and this progresses the book.  This was approach was done much better in Stone's Fall by Iain Pairs.  I suggest picking up that book instead.

2/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment