Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hearts and Minds - Amanda Craig


I totally loved this book!  I felt that one of its strengths was that it had a little bit of something for everyone.  It had a serious side, looking at issues relating to immigration in London.  There was a mystery that ran through it; and for the softies, it also had a romantic side.  Seriously, this book has something that will appeal to almost everyone.

On a personal note, I think I also related to the book as I'm an immigrant to New Zealand.  While there were the sad cases of the refugees in Hearts and Minds, there were also more typical immigrants as well.  Although I'm Canadian, I could relate to the case of the American living in London.  There's something about trying to find your way in a culture that's similar in many ways, but also very different.  It is really about finding your comfort zone and being true to your identity.  I think back to my years in the Intercultural Communication Lab, and Berry's model of acculturation.  It's about integration--keeping the Canadian part of yourself intact, but incorporating what it means to be a New Zealander (though no, I still don't do rugby).

By all means, grab this book.  As I've said, it's got something for everyone.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment