Saturday, March 5, 2011

Death of Donna Whalen - Michael Winter



I believe that this is one of those books that you can't truly appreciate until you're done.  Or that's how I found it, at any rate.  Winter explores a case in which a woman from St. John's, Newfoundland is brutally murdered.  He used the court transcripts to re-create the events; as a result, there is a fair bit of elaborate detail at points.  This makes it fairly heavy going and I couldn't read too much at once.  That said, it was fascinating to explore the murder from the perspective of all those who were intimately or tangentially involved.  Winter helps you come to a very interesting conclusion in the way he builds it up, but I won't say more than that as I don't want to spoil the book.

While I didn't like this quite as much as Winter's earlier book, The Big Why, it is definitely worth picking up as it's an interesting writing experiment.  And in the end, I think the experiment really worked!

4/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment