Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Cruelest Month - Louise Penny



I've given glowing reviews to Louise Penny's earlier two books and I'm not going to change that trend here.  I simply love the way she writes, creates a sense of place, and develops winning characters.  And I love that Armand Gamache's fatal flaw is his sense of honour.  I've read one too many crime novels where the lead character is a hard drinking jerk.

In Penny's latest book, the Three Pines murder takes place during a seance.  The victim is a seemingly well loved (if newish) member of the community, but that presumption starts to break down as the book evolves and the team investigates the crime.  An interesting side plot relates to a thread that has been present in the previous two novels.  Gamache's integrity led him to anger many high ranking members of the police force by arresting one of their own and many on the force are still committed to bringing Gamache down.  This all comes to a head in Penny's third novel.

Once again, I was captivated by Penny's world and can't wait to read the next.  I try to save them for my holidays as they are a guaranteed winner! 5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment