Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tell the Wolves I'm Home - Carol Rifka Brunt



This was one of my favorite books of 2012.   It tells the story of a young girl in the 1980's, who has just lost her uncle to AIDS.  The story centers around her burgeoning friendship with her uncle's partner, whom she only meets after her uncle's death.  The book is haunting in its portrayal of this era, with the AIDS panic at its full intensity.

I loved this book for a variety of reasons.  First, the sense of place in it was amazing.  I felt like I was living in 1980's New York.  Second, the protagonist (June) is an incredible character.  Rifka Brunt perfectly captures the awkwardness of adolescence and all its conflicting emotions.  Finally, it was a lovely story about friendship in difficult circumstances.

I recommend this book to everyone  -- it will stay with you long after you're done.

5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment