Monday, February 6, 2012

Holiday Who Dunnit

It's a good thing that I didn't make regular blog entries a New Year's Resolution as I would have failed miserably and early.  The theme of my reads over the Christmas break was mystery/thriller.  Because it's been so long...a quick synopsis of each will have to suffice.


Enjoyed The Water Rat of Wanchai by Ian Hamilton.  This is billed as Canada's answer to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and that's likely about right.  It's a fast paced read with an anti-heroine.  Recommended.


I was really looking forward to Alone in the Classroom as I was a huge fan of Elizabeth Hay's earlier works Late Nights on Air and a Student of Weather.  However, Alone in the Classroom didn't rise to those levels (for me).  It started out with an intriguing mystery, but then just devolved and never provided the satisfying conclusion I sought.



Once again I was seeking literary comfort in a book by an author I'd read and enjoyed before.  I picked up Guily Plea by Richard Rotenberg.  While not quite as strong as his earlier Old City Hall...it was still a real page turner and I enjoyed reuniting with many of his earlier characters.  My only real criticism was that it was a bit predictable.


And finally, I ready Stronger than Death by Manda Scott.  A satisfying medical mystery with compelling characters.  Worth picking up, but as with the last two--not as good as Scott's Hen's Teeth.

All  in all, these books did what I needed on holiday--keep me turning the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment