Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Descendants

As many will already know, The Descendants is one of the top Oscar picks for this year. Which kind of tells you what a lousy crop of good movies there was this year. Either that, or Academy is over represented by middle aged women who have the hots for George Clooney.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie and I thought Clooney's performance was wonderful. I also thought that Shailene Woodley's performance was really well acted too. The bottom line however is that this wasn't that great of a movie.  It was ok, but I don't think that it was Oscar worthy

The story is about Matt King (George Clooney),one of the descendants of King Kamehameha, who's wife is in a coma from a boating accident. While in the coma, Matt finds out from his daughter Alexandra (Shailene Woodley) that his wife has been having an affair behind his back. The movie plot revolves around how Matt and his family deal with the fallout of the affair and how it affects the rest of the family's relationships.

There is also a subplot about how the King family is to deal with a large portion of Hawaiian land that they own, which kind of felt tacked on. While I enjoyed the movie, I really don't think that it was deserving of an Oscar nod. But I will say that the performance of Nick Krause as Sid was hilarious! He deserved an Oscar, but for the movie itself....meh.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment