Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cool Water - Diane Warren


This book won the Canadian Governor General's award last year.  Not surprisingly then, it is a very well written book.  As I've attested to before, I tend to prefer plot-driven, rather than character-driven books and for me this is where Cool Water fell down.  The book did not have the forward momentum that keeps me riveted to the page.  This was possibly compounded by the fact that I was taking a break from the amazing, but dense Emperor of All Maladies; I think I was looking for something to just pull me along.

Despite my critiques, the characters are very interesting--from a despondent bank manager to a lonely farmer to a scattered farm wife (etc.).  For those who love character-driven literature, this is worth picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment