Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling


In a nutshell

The book opens with the death of one of the local council members.  The remainder of this book explores the repercussions of his death both for the council, and the larger community.  It explores the fallout from a large number of perspectives.

Did I like it?

It was fine.  The beginning reminded me of Downton Abbey in that I was having to sort out the names and roles of many characters.  Getting all that straight took about 100 pages!!  I found the book a bit disjointed in that it was told by no fewer than 12 characters (possibly more).  This was a bit cumbersome in the middle section and almost had me abandoning the book as I couldn't see how the story could progress with so many voices.  I persevered and in the end, while I didn't love it, I didn't think it deserved the harsh criticism it received.  It was simply a middle of the road book. 

Will you like it?

Do you enjoy a character driven novel told from multiple perspectives?  Do you like reading about infighting (and all other sorts of fighting)?  If so, this may be the book for you.  It's not upbeat, but Rowling's writing style helps pull the reader along.

What else happened while I was reading this book?

We had an earthquake (6.2) - but no real damage.  Ate our first corn on the cob of the year (love you summer).  Took my annual tumble while running, with scrapes and bruises to show for it (sigh).  Leo found a hedgehog in our driveway (awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment