Friday, November 18, 2011

Flying Troutmans - Miriam Toews


I've read quite a few Miriam Toews books over the years and she is a good writer.  Her books have a quirky tone and even quirkier characters.

My latest read was the Flying Troutmans and while I liked it, I also found it had a frantic energy that didn't exactly make it a relaxing read.  I read somewhere that it bears similarities to Little Miss Sunshine and that is true to a point.  However, I think the end goal of getting Abigail Breslin to the beauty pageant gave Little Miss Sunshine more focus than that found in the Flying Troutsman, which seemed to go on tangent after tangent.  In this particular road trip, they were looking for someone, but I found that this goal was quite often lost amongst the text.   Worth picking up in a pinch, but if you're looking at Toews for the first time, try A Boy of Good Breeding instead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment