Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein


This book was suggested by a friend and fellow dog-owner.  I think that the strength of this book is that parts really do resonate with anyone who's owned a dog, from picking out your perfect match to the unexpected "acting out".  The book is told from the perspective of Enzo (a dog); the book tracks Enzo's life with his family.  There are highs and lows for this family and it is interesting to see how Enzo reacts to it all.  His frustration at being unable to communicate verbally was quite touching, and it was funny to see how he tried to make up for this with physical gestures.  This was an easy-to-read book that would be a welcome addition to your vacation reading.

4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well, but I thought the ending was quite contrived and manipulative. Without ruining the book with a spoiler, I would simply say that it should have been ended one chapter earlier, and let the reader's imagination fill in the blanks.
    The narrative voice of the dog was both touching and often hilarious. As Kristie mentioned in her post, anyone with experience owning a dog, will find themselves smiling and nodding their head while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is, by far, the most touching book I've read in years! The characters are so vividly described through the pages, I felt I knew them. My emotions went from sadness and tears to joy and laughter. You simply must get your hands on this book! And when you are finished.... pass it on! I am a dog-lover, but you don't need to be to enjoy this beautifully written tale.

    ReplyDelete