Saturday, April 23, 2011

Skippy Dies - Paul Murray



After reading Skippy Dies, I felt like I had spent the last week as an adolescent boy.  It was an interesting experience to say the least (given I'd never been in that position before).  Paul Murray does an excellent job of exploring life at an all-boys English boarding school, one that is on the cusp of becoming progressively more secular.  This book explores the impact that the death of a school-mate has on these boys, as well as the events leading up to the death.  This book manages to be touching, without pandering.  The reader doesn't get everything they want in the end, but that's a good thing.  I never like knowing exactly where the author is going to take me.  Although long, I read this book quickly and found many parts "laugh out loud" funny.  If you're looking for something that is both intellectually stimulating and a roaring good read, I recommend Skippy Dies.  It's a recent reading highlight!

4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment